Monday, August 29, 2011

I just do want coffee....

And wouldn't you know just when I thought I had this figured out, well I'm back at my first day of school. Trying not to think to loud, raise my hand or scratch my head. No ideas for what to do. (Caedmon's Call)

I would define a successful day as one when I never so much as step into my car. Considering the only time I drove Chloe (my Xterra) over the past week was Friday to meet a friend at the University of Louisville, I would say this has been an extra successful week! We walk to class, ride our bikes to church and I ride my bike to work (up a cobblestone street, I might add). That is a major benefit of living in the city--especially living on campus--we can travel light.

Another glorious thing about Louisville is the beautiful hardwoods, the rolling hills and the constant breeze. At least twice a week we take Bailey to "Windy Willow Way" to let her run around while we study.

All the essentials for an afternoon of studying: iPod, multiple devotionals,  journals,
any writing utensil you can imagine, fruit juice, crazy creek, notebook, and textbooks  (I guess)

And of course, some Wendell Berry, just in case you finish the 200+
pages of homework...(thanks for letting me use this book, Kristin!)

Despite the joys and beauties of this great city, and despite our absolute love for Southern--professors, classes, and all it stands for--I never realized how humbling it can be to live in an entirely new place.

When your car is running low on gas (which has only happened once thus far!) and you have not the slightest inclination where the closest Kroger Fuel station is (I mean, you can't just go to any gas station when you know you have 10 cents off waiting for you!) it can be quite humbling.

When someone invites you over for dinner and you and your husband enthusiastically and immediately shout "YES" at the same time because you are both so desperate for friendship (and a free meal) it can be quite humbling.

When you've been a Christian for a long time and, in light of a deep look at the New Testament, realize how much you don't know, it can be quite humbling.

When you are thrust into a new job, trying to memorize 15 different coffee blend details, learning how to pull the perfect shots of espresso while trying to get just enough oxygen in the 2 percent...or was it skim...or soy....milk to make the right amount of micro-foam to put into a hundred different drinks, and messing it up, again, it can be quite humbling.

When the 21C culture is telling you that by your age you should have a career, be established with a home, making money and you realize you are back in school, unsure of the next step much less than a "career" path, it can be quite humbling.

My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior...He has shown strength with His arm; he has scattered the proud in the thoughts of their hearts; he has brought down the mighty from their thrones and exalted those of humble estate; he has filled the hungry with good things! (the Magnificat, Luke 1:46, 51-53)
We need this! We need to be humbled! The Lord knows we so easily put our hope in ourselves or in the things of this world, and so he replaces our pride and confidence with desperation and need of Him and Him alone. Pray that we would learn this! Pray that we would learn to trust Him and abide in Him to meet our needs.

The first time I brought Quinn to my yoga class back in Peachtree City, Kathy (our amazing instructor) told her that "yoga begins with humility". The first day of Greek class with Dr. Vickers, he begins by assuring us, "Greek will humble you". And last Thursday in New Testament with Dr. Pennington, when guiding us through some complex issues of the Gospels, he expressed to us with absolute conviction and a sincere compassion, that we "must come to the text with a humble spirit."

It is good to be humbled. I am so thankful that we "have no ideas of what to do". For we are literally following our Pillar of Fire every step of the way.


Our trip to the waterfront

The muddy Ohio
In 1937 the Ohio rose higher than this pillar and flooded all of Louisville.
This is the same flood that Berry mentions in Jayber Crow.

Kellen's talent

Yoga IS humbling. I thought my bridge was much better than that!
A perfect anniversary gift from our Maker.

May the Lord's grace and peace be yours in Christ Jesus. We love you all.



1 comment:

  1. sounds like God wants to do something through you and kellen...apart from Him we can do nothing. God speed.

    ReplyDelete