Thursday, August 11, 2011

the tree outside our window


I waited patiently on the Lord; He inclined to me and heard my cry.   (Psalm 40:1)
The God who has chosen me and planted me in Christ as a branch as ensured that I will in every way be worthy of Jesus Christ. Oh, to fully realize this truth! How it would deepen my sense of dependence and enable me to see that continual praying is the one need of my life--an unceasing waiting, moment by moment, on the God who has united me to Christ, to perfect His own divine work in me.   (Andrew Murray)

It is a fearsome thing to move away from one's home, especially when that home is so pleasant and comforting. However, at the same time, there is nothing quite as exciting as venturing out on faith to follow God's will. This is the marvelous tension between faith and fear that He uses to make an inexorable love in us for Him and an utter dependence that leads to obedience. And yet our finite obedience only proves His infinite faithfulness. I can say that with such certainty because I experience it as reality in the most peculiar ways.

My nerves were at their wits end the whole drive from Atlanta to Louisville, anxious about our new home. The wonderful life we shared in Peachtree City--full of long walks, lake swimming and tree climbing--only intensified and whetted my need for the serenity of nature. So, you can imagine my delight and consolation when we walk into our new and yet-to-be-adorned home and when, looking out the window, my eyes become fixated on a young, beautiful sapling resting in between us a the busy city street. I felt an over whelming desire (probably because I am reading Anne of Green Gables) to name the tree Bonnie and kiss it! After resisting the temptation, Mom and I notice that there are only a few other apartment windows that have such a view. Coincidence? I think not. Instead, I believe it is the divine Providence of the One who is drawing us closer to Himself; affirmation to continue the unknown path to which He has called us.

It is He that calls, He that establishes and He that keeps. What a relief!

Here is the darling in all her beauty!
A room with a view, literally

No comments:

Post a Comment